It’s that time of the year again – the streets are sparkling with golden glitter of decorative lights, smelling of mulled wine. The shopping windows are telling us their fairy tales and the sister winter is whispering, that it’s without doubt, Christmas time.
Not even knowing how quickly the time has passed, I realised that the third advent Sunday is gone and I’m “a bit” late with everything this year – tasks on my to-do list, my projects, Christmas shopping and even my own wishlist. Maybe you have accomplished and done everything you wanted this year; and maybe, your head is just like a broken record, reminding you what still needs to be done.
You know what? It does not matter. At all. To me, all that matters is to find my inner peace, unwind and be with everyone I love. Even though there’re so many pretty things out there this year, what I really want is that. That Christmas magic I’ve only felt home – the coziness of pre-Christmas laziness, the sparkly bobbles on the Christmas tree, the smell of freshly baked gingerbreads which always reminds me of my granny’s baking, the snowflakes reminiscing the childhood fun riding sleigh, the delicious carp my dad makes every year for Christmas dinner and all the festive films we watch with my mum over and over again ♥
So first of all, I wish for health, love and happiness for ourselves and each of you, wherever in the world you are.
This year, I have collected things which I am putting on the material side of my Christmas wishlist. And it was SO hard! I found so many things which I fell in love with! As always, I plan to pick one of my favourite pieces and get it for myself. You know, a gift from myself to myself, just because I think I deserve it! So, whether you’re looking for something to remind you how good you’ve been all year, or still searching for gift ideas, I hope my carefully picked list of material dreams will help.
1. Being in Denmark for nearly two years (whaaat!), I never stopped being fascinated by hygge – the Danish art of creating cosiness and intimacy accompanied with lots of candlelight. Meik Wiking explains everything about it in his new book.
2. Do I need to even say more? I just love, love, love film photography! So, naturally, I’m totally dreaming about beautiful La Sardina camera.
3. I’m more “tee and jeans” girl than a dress type, but these Floral Sequin Dress from Topshop are just the most beautiful thing ever.
4. If you’re into feminism but don’t feel like reading crazy extensive books to educate yourself, The Little Book of Feminism would be a great introduction. And I’d love to have it too.
5. I have been looking for a good quality scarf which will not look like crap after a few wears and washes. Oh yeah, I found one. Pure wool and just look at the colour. This Two Tone Wool Scarf from &OtherStories is haunting my mind ever since I saw it!
6. I don’t know how about you, but I simply have a thing for advent calendars (yeah, once child, forever child). So whoever created a beauty advent calendars, was just a genius! This one from Sephora got me with the illustrations.
7. I don’t have much jewellery, but somehow I manage to have it all over the place. So, while casually browsing on Urban Outfitters, I found this beautiful, a bit boho jewellery holder. Love at first sight. Oh yeah, I also found this. How perfect!
8. So my shitty cheap headphones just broke (the one part which kind of worked fell into my coffee today… yeah) and while looking for some new, and totally unspecial, I found these in pastel pink. They’re from a Scandinavian brand called Urban Ears headphones and I just N-E-E-D THEM.
9. Harry Potter is the best book of my childhood and until now, I am the Harry Potter nerd, and naturally, I can’t wait to get my hands on this book. I never read the previous books in English, so I hope to get the Slovak translation, cuddle up my blanket and start reading.
10. Everyone who knows me knows that black is my happy colour. I was looking for the perfect black knit, and here it is, of course, from Zara.
11. I have a serious weakness for pretty packaging and Too Faced is mastering that. My favourite piece of the moment is definitely their Chocolate Bar eye shadow palette, which is scented! Oh-my-god.
12. There’s never enough jeans. Love the uneven ending of these boyfriend jeans from Zara.
13. It seems like I have completely destroyed my favourite thrift shoulder bag. I found a pretty great replacement for it at &OtherStories. Or maybe two.
14. I’m trying to get organised and as I am “write it down on a piece of paper” kind of girl rather than “use a fancy software,” I was looking for the perfect daily journal and found it.
15. There is something calming and magical about crystals. I think it’s time that I get one. Found similar ones to this in one of Odense’s shops called Naturkost. Any tips on where to look in Copenhagen?
16. Being a makeup & beauty addict, chilling with a mask on is so relaxing for me. As I’m running out of my Tony Molly masks personally imported from China, I was looking for something new, which would remind me of Chinese adventures. The Chinese Ginseng & Rice mask from BodyShop has it even in its name!
So that is it. My “longer than I thought” list of Christmas wishes and gift ideas. Do you have a favourite? What are your non-material and material wishes this Christmas? Let me know in the comment section! Oh yeah and don’t forget that –
Photos by Kevin Dooley.